The finalists have been announced. They are Chris Bjorin, David Chiu, Humberto Brenes, Thor Hansen, Mike Matusow, Jennifer Harman, Tom McEvoy, Scotty Nguyen, Huckleberry Seed and Carlos Mortensen. It was reported that six of those finalists were likewise being nominated last year: Bjorn, Hansen, Chiu, Harman, Nguyen and McEvoy. While, Huckleberry Seed was also known as a finalist last 2011 whereas Brenes and Matusow were known at the main event champion list last 2001. Only Mortesen has been included as a first time on the lists. The public nominations were done by the Poker Hall of Fame Governing Council.
In honor of the winner or winners, a ceremony will take place on November 3 at the Rio in Las Vegas. The ballots will be cast by the total 37 voters, 19 of them are living current poker personalities that made the Poker Hall of Fame, and 18 of them would be coming from the selected member of media panel. Not just any expert poker player can join the said event. One of the criteria is age – you need to be at least 40 years old to be nominated and play. But, you don’t need to be professional. As long as you know the game, and you are good at it, then you are in. Also played high stakes and gained respect from peers.
Let’s take a sneak peek at each nominee and check who are they and how much they have earned so far playing poker.
- Chris Bjorn is a 65-year old from London. He has around $5 million tournament earnings.
- Humberto Brenes is 62 years old and known as one of the most colorful personalities, has recorded more than $6 million earnings.
- David Chiu is 53 years old born in China and has more than $7.5 million career earnings, the $3.4 was from the 2008 WPT Championship.
- Thorn Hansen is Norwegian and has been playing since the 1980s and earned $3 million in cash, also known as the “Godfather” of Norwegian poker.
- Jennifer Harman is 48 years old and known as the best female player of all time. She earned $2.5 million.
- Mike Matusow or more known as “The Mouth”, this is because of his trash talks and earned a whopping $8.5 million in total.
- Tom McEvoy is 68 and known as the oldest among the finalists, known as a writer and written numerous books and articles about the game poker.
- Carlos Mortesen is 41 and the youngest of the finalists. He is a Spaniard and has an amazing total earnings of $11.4 million. .
- Scotty Nguyen is a Vietnam born gambler and has a mind freaking total earnings of $11.7 million.
- Huck Seed is 44 and a earning of $6 million.